6 October 2014


|| The week New Zealand kicked our Arse ||

It's crazy how fast time goes by. Last week me and my partner Andrew did a speedy travelling trip around New Zealand. Even though we only left a few days ago, it feels like weeks have passed! 

In a short space of time we successfully navigated our way south, straight down the middle through Lake Taupo, the Northern countries largest lake, towards windy Wellington, then up the West coast back to Auckland! In between a few hours driving, we got to see some incredible countryside, waterfalls and cities, trek through rainforest and the Lord of the Rings filming locations, experience some Maori culture and eat at some great cafe's, while patiently documenting it all on a Samsung S4 (Heartbreakingly my Canon has officially died until I can send it off for repair).

So onto our week : On arrival at 12:30 midnight we made camp in the airport. The car rental company we had gone with didn't open until 9am that morning. A few hours later we arrived at the rentals and had the wonderful information that our booking had not been received, we were not on the system and better yet they didn't have any vans available. Lesson learnt, never go through a third party when booking car rental. Back at the airport we quickly got on the phone chasing quotes and finally secured a Jucy Car, at a little higher price than planned but at that stage we were tired and desperate. 

We completely skipped Auckland, saving it for the return journey and drove a hour south to a rest area to recover. The next day made the Auckland trip worthwhile. We visited Hobbiton ( post to come!! ) - what an incredible experience, then continued south passing more rolling hills and cattle farms. The trip was looking up from its disastrous first day, until we lost the wallet! 

We are about 60/40 sure that it was my mistake and I accidentally kicked it out at a rest stop...anyway after a few stressful hours searching, cancelling cards, reporting it to the police and figuring out how the hell we can get access to money, we had no choice but to carry on South! 

Wellington weather was good to us, not that windy, we spent a few hours in the huge four floored museum on the water front checking out the amazing exhibitions. The rest of the weekend was spent working our way up the west side of the Island, visiting towns on the surf coastal road. Then our luck turned. Some good soul had handed in our lost wallet! We were reunited with our driving licences and everything else that was in there, all accounted for. 

We ended our trip on a high, with a good pizza in the fabulous city of Auckland on a beautiful sunny day. A long rest on the flight to LA was well needed after this turbulent week. 


No comments :

Post a Comment



Email *

Message *